Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Take risks, be spontaneous, and do what you love

Being a blogger is by far the most rewarding thing I've ever done in my life. The outpouring of support I have gotten since I announced that I want to blog for a living has been so amazing.

It plays right into my personality, too. I am not a planner by any means. I enjoy being spontaneous and taking risks. When Dave and I decided to move from Indy it was a matter of 5 days between deciding and doing. We packed, figured out our lease, said goodbye to friends, and drove 10 hours all in a matter of 5 days. Planning is just not us. When we say we are going to do something, we usually just do it. Sometimes it works out well, and sometimes it doesn't. But every adventure has been totally worth it.

Like, remember that time we moved out to Albuquerque? How many people warned us about it? How many people questioned our destination? Did it work out? Not really... but let me ask you this... have you ever moved halfway across the country, just to do it?

It happens every morning when I go to write a blog. I think I know a topic I'm going to write about, and then it changes. I have about 4 unfinished blog posts in my queue that have yet to be written. I can't plan what I'm going to write... I just write.

I guess I come from a family of risk takers. My mom went back to school while also raising three daughters under the age of 10 to pursue her dream of becoming a teacher. My dad decided to leave college to buy a business he has now been at for over thirty years. My older sister, Emily, moved to Germany for several years where she also met her now husband, Shane. My younger sister, Sarah, took a job with a company right out of college that moved her to Virginia Beach then to San Antonio without ever visiting those cities.

Now, more than ever, is a time to take risks. Roles are changing. Women are no longer expected to raise kids and cook dinner. People change careers dozens of times throughout their life. Entrepreneurs and small business owners are popping up everywhere.

There will be a time in my life when I will settle down, have kids, and traveling will mean going on family vacations. But for now, I'm taking risks. I sometimes find myself envious of my peers who have already settled down, gotten married, and have career jobs. But lately, I find myself lucky that I have had the adventures that I have had.



So here's some advice, you can take it or leave it... but it's what I got.

1. Live with intention.
2. Trust your faith.
3. Be spontaneous and take risks. Planning is overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment