Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I am a Generation Y cliche

I like to think of myself as a Generation Y cliche.

I lost my job last week. It wasn't a great job, but it was a job in my field, and, quite honestly, it helped pay the bills for a while. I was heartbroken at first, and I still have my moments, but I knew that taking a job at a failing magazine could end one of two ways: get another job or become a victim of budget cuts. I ran out of time on the former and the latter caught up to me.

It sucks. I won't sugar coat it. While I watch my peers get married, buy houses and start families, I am once again searching for a job. There was a time that I was completely embarrassed of this. I was raised to believe that if you work hard, good things will happen to you. I still believe this, because I work hard everyday. But I've read enough Huff Post stories and other blog posts to realize that I am just another casualty of a poor economy.



I can't quite blame it all on the economy. I had a steady job at one point that I quit in order to follow my dreams. I acquired $30,000 more debt in graduate school loans also to follow my dreams. And after getting an interview with USA Today, I realize I'm qualified, just not one of the lucky ones to actually be a working journalist. Instead I have my blog.

From the moment my boss said the words "we're going to have to let you go" my first thought was "I can't wait to blog about this."

I'm no longer embarrassed about my situation. Instead, I'd rather get it all out, and perhaps let all those people that are in, have been, or will be in my situation, that SHIT HAPPENS and life goes on.

So as I suck up my pride and move back in with my parents, I look forward to the day when my blog is my career and I no longer have to worry about anyone else signing my paychecks. I could've chosen a career in medicine or business or academics, but I want to be a writer, and that's what I'll be.

PS. To all of you out there who are working jobs that you hate, please realize how blessed you are. Either quit bitching or do something about it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to be in your position.


No comments:

Post a Comment