Friday, February 14, 2014

My super gushy Valentine's Day post.

Disclaimer: This post will include lots of lovey-dovey bragging about my boyfriend.



Happy Valentine's Day!

To those of you who are jaded, simply don't believe in Valentine's Day, or will be drinking away your sorrows because you feel extra lonely on day like today, I've been there.

In fact, I do believe I celebrated one college Valentine's Day by dressing in all black and going to a bar with my single girlfriends.

I don't care to advertise my relationship to the world. I don't need to convince anyone how I feel. I saw a quote the other day that read, "The sign of a healthy relationship is no mention of it on Facebook." True that. But since love is in the air, I thought I'd blog and brag about my David.

How we met:

David and I met while working at a restaurant in Charlottesville, Virginia. I had moved to the area to work for my uncle, and wanted to make some new friends in the process. David had just gotten out of the military and moved back to his hometown. I had never waited a table in my life, but I figured that working at a restaurant would prove to be a social atmosphere. I applied to a gourmet pizza place that was just opening and needed servers. I got the job, and so did David.

About a month later, I was out shopping on a Wednesday after work and decided to stop into Brixx for dinner. I had creepily checked the schedule the night before and noticed that David was closing that fated Wednesday. I stayed for dinner, and a few drinks. After enough liquid courage, I asked David if he'd like to hang out sometime. He said yes and gave me his phone to put my number in. I left that night asking repeatedly if he was gonna call.

The next night he did call and we went putt putt golfing and out to drinks at Millers in downtown Charlottesville. That was October 7, 2010 (the same day my cousin Peyton was born!) and we've been together since.

There are often times I look back and think "what if". What if I had stayed at Marietta? What if I hadn't moved to Virginia? What if I had never gotten my heart broken? All of the things that I think I would have changed about my life I can't possible regret... because getting the job at Brixx was the universe's way of introducing me to David.

Everybody's love story is different, and they are wonderful in their own right. However, ours is my favorite. David and I have broken every 'relationship rule' in the book. And we're still going strong.

If there is one word to describe David it would be spontaneous. For the first few months we were dating, he spoke about wanting to move out west to train as an MMA fighter. As wild of a dream as that was, I never believed he couldn't or wouldn't do it. Eight months later we were driving to New Mexico. He trained with some of the best in the business. I knew he could do it all along. 

He has never been afraid of an adventure, and for this I am grateful. I am one of the lucky few who was able to travel around the country, and I never would have been able to if not for him.

We've had some amazing experiences, and they wouldn't have been half as special if not for him.

David has supported me through several years of trying to get my life on track. He up and moved to Indianapolis when I got into graduate school. Some people think of this as a grand gesture, but I never had a doubt that he would. It's just the relationship that we have. He has been my best friend since the day we starting dating.

David and I are full of wonderful and ambitious dreams. Whereas I look at them as dreams, he sees them as realities, and he helps me to realize they are possible. If not for him, I never would have had the courage to do all the things I have done this past year in school. I would have been dreaming about being a journalist, instead of actually being one.

I'm blessed to have a boyfriend who loves me and accepts me for who I am. David is very stoic, hardly emotional, and it's taken him a while to understand my deeply emotional side. But he never stopped trying. I'm a difficult person to relate to sometimes, but he does his best. And if he can't, he knows he can always make me laugh.

So here's to happy valentine's day for many years to come. I love you, David! Thank you for being mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment