Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Caledonia-Mumford Red Raiders

I'm feeling rather nostalgic today after hearing the news of the horrendous crash that killed two and injured three Cal-Mum alum. For me Cal-Mum is home and although I've traveled to new places and met plenty of new people, those who I share my hometown memories with will always have a special place in my heart. It's hard to describe the connection and love that a small town like Caledonia has unless you grew up in one. At times the small size may irritate you and drive you crazy, but looking back I don't think I'd have it any other way. Because of the size of the school I was able to play multiple sports, be involved in music and art and, most importantly, get to know every person that I went to school with whether they graduated five years before me or five years after. I knew who they were and who their parents were and what they did for a living... in short, it is a wonderful place.



I am constantly reminded, sadly, that this accident wasn't the first loss in our small community. Just a month ago we lost one of the best guys I've ever known to a weight lifting accident. In the past year there has been so much loss and grief it seems that just when the black cloud finally lifts, it starts to rain again.

In times like these I wish I could go back in time when we were invincible and the most important thing was making the soccer team or being named lead in the musical. I spent some time looking through scrapbooks and photo albums today in order to bring back those feelings. So many great memories in Caledonia. I love you all and you're in my thoughts!





Core 4 and our moms!












Sarah's High School Graduation... missed ya, Em!








Class of 2006!









1 comment:

  1. Well written. Although I only spent 2 full years at Cal-Mum, the friendships I made will last forever. It is an amazing town with even more amazing people.

    ReplyDelete