Saturday, March 19, 2011

How many dreams can I really dream?

A typical week in the head of Erica Rath:


Monday: go to Business school, get an MBA... there are so many opportunities
Tuesday: get a masters in Journalism, thats what you've always wanted
Wednesday: journalism is too specific, what happens if you end up disliking it, what else can you do?
Thursday: move to Nashville! CMT is awaiting
Friday: I really don't care
Saturday: do it all! do it all!
Sunday: THERE ARE TOO MANY THINGS I WANT TO DO!

Any one else feel like there are TOO many opportunities out there? Are you scared to death you are going to choose the wrong one? Why do I drive myself crazy trying to figure out what I want to do with my life?

I'll tell you what I want to do with my LIFE: see the world, fall in love, have a family, be well-read, stay close with my sisters and parents, and help some people along the way.

But what about that thing that allows you to travel, and support your family. That thing that I went to college for... a career. Right now I have a job, one that I am learning soooo much from. But I want a career. I want to feel passion for what I do on a daily basis.

I look around at the people who are closest to me. My two best friends are doing what they went to school for: one is a nurse, one is a teacher. I went to school for communication and business... those aren't careers! Those are words, categories, of millions of opportunities that I can take on. If only I could narrow those millions of options down to one... or even two.

My mom went back to school after having 3 children. She finally discovered, after getting married and having a family, that she wanted to be a teacher. (If I had known my mom before she knew what she wanted to do, I would tell her to be a teacher. We need more teachers like her.) She was in her late thirties before she went back to school. She now has her masters and is a one-on-one aid with an autistic girl. She reminds me daily that I am still young, that I have my whole life to discover what I am meant to do.

Still... I wish, I really really REALLY wish, I could put a grasp around what I want to do with my life.

"You have to just let it come to you. You aren't going to wake up one day and know what you want to do." - A very wise boyfriend of mine (see Babe, I do listen to what you say!)

For know, I will continue waking up with another idea in my head, research it a little and then move on to another. Why not drive myself crazy for a few more years, I will eventually fall into a niche. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment