Saturday, March 19, 2011

Are we for real with these student loan payments?

Yay! I went to college and after 4 years of studying, partying, new friendships, partying, switching majors, homesickness, partying, and endless schoolwork, I have a diploma and degree! Besides the fact that the State of New York sent my diploma to my parents' house 8 months after I walked across the stage, I can smile a little bit knowing that I have a Bachelor's degree! Woohoo!

I remember the day I sat and listened intently to the college president, provost and even senator of New York State stating that I have sooo much to be proud of! I stood up, dressed in a terribly fitting black robe (that still showed the lines where it was folded so nicely in a plastic bag, because why would I take it out of there any earlier than the day I had to wear it) and motorboard hat with my sorority letters neatly taped on top. I smiled when the camera was pointed my way. And as I walked up the stairs and across the stage to shake the presidents hand, I started to tear up thinking, "wow! I'm graduating from COLLEGE!".

Now, those tears that I saw starting welling up on graduation day, fall down my face for a completely different reason. I was one of the smart ones in this economy and decided not to go to graduate school right away. By smart I mean completely idiotic and dumb. I had a job lined up, and for a while I was swimming in money.

Then December hit. December marks 6 months after Graduation. My grace period was over. I now had to start paying back for my 4 years of studying, partying, friendships, switching majors, partying and and endless schoolwork.

WHY????? do these payments cost so much? Why after 3, maybe 4, applications for deferment am I still being told I pay too much? Why are loan companies calling me 7 times a day when my payment is on time? Why am I taking about half my monthly paycheck to pay back these stupid things? Where has all my money gone? Six months is not a long enough grace period. I think the most I have ever seen in my bank account is close to three thousand dollars. Nowadays, after I pay these horrible things off every month, I can barely afford rent and groceries.

My family and I on graduation day (sans my older sister Emily, who currently lives in Germany).


College grad! I have a degree! I have a job (2 jobs actually!) and I have no money to show for it. 23 years old, living on my own and calling my mom and dad weekly crying because I hate student loans. I imagined my first year in the "real world" with a little more freedom than this...

No comments:

Post a Comment