Friday, July 19, 2013

Small Town Soccer Girl

The game of soccer was my first love. My childhood memories and most of my friends were made on the soccer field. My dad coached, my sisters played with me and my mom was at every single game no matter what. I recall the first year I was given the Cal-Mum Varsity soccer jersey to wear. I had long wanted to trade in the ratty, hand-me-downs I wore as a JV player to wear the fresh maroon and white of the Varsity team.

We played for a small town. None of us would go Division I, we weren't very technical, and if we had tried out for a Class A team, the majority of us would be cut.

But we had two things that were undeniable: we were tough as nails, and we had heart.

I had the skill to play at the collegiate level, so I set out to find the right school. I ended up playing at a small school in Ohio, about six hours away from home. The girls were great, the coaches were alright, and the soccer was fast. Sadly, though, I lost the love for the game.

I don't think there was a 'right school' for me. What I loved most about soccer was the people and the place I played for. I longed for the maroon and white. I longed for my small town.

I made the decision to finish my education closer to home. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I know I could have played all four years in college, but I would be doing it for the wrong reasons.

Being close to home allowed me to watch my little sister play every game in her final season as a Red Raider. I was able to watch my younger teammates develop into beautiful and tough young women. I was able to watch Sarah lead her team to the state championship game.

Fortunately, I have re-found my love for the game and will be coaching at a class 4A high school in Indiana. The girls are very talented, technical and strong. They play year-round and the majority of them will probably play in college.

I think back to my team in high school, and I know we could've beaten them. Why? Because we were tough as nails... and we had heart.

Sports to me have always been about more than the talent and the numbers. I wanted to become a sports journalist because I wanted to tell the stories of the athletes; I wanted to tell about the trials and tribulations of those who dedicate their lives to sports. I have never been and never will be able to tell you the batting averages of the best hitters in the league or how many passing yards Peyton Manning had last season. To me that is just scratching the surface of what sports are all about.

I believe I have such a soft spot for these stories because of the Cal-Mum community. In a world full of powerhouse sports teams, we were the underdog, no matter if we had the better record or not. We weren't playing in club leagues all year round and we weren't coached by professionals. We succeeded because we had hard-nosed, hard-working, small-town people behind us.

The town of Caledonia is a typical small town where life revolves around sports. Some may view this as a bad thing. I don't. I think it tells a bigger story. The leading goal scorer on the soccer team is also a girl scout. While cheering on the football team you are also cheering on this years' lead in the musical. The quarterback is also the first baseman on the baseball team. The cheerleader on the top of the pyramid is also the president of the National Honor Society.

Sports tell wonderful stories, whether they end in tragedy or triumph. Caledonia is resilient. No matter the amount of grief and heartache, the entire town will still be out to watch the Raiders play Leroy on Friday night. They will be there when the seniors on the volleyball team play their final home game. They will be waiting at the monument as the softball team brings home that sectional trophy.

KACM. I'm thinking of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment